The Blue Ridge Ski Resort in Wrightwood, California, is a historical part of the region’s skiing heritage. However, it’s important to clarify that Blue Ridge Ski Resort is the former name of what is now known as the West Resort of Mountain High.
- Early Beginnings: Blue Ridge Ski Resort was among the earliest ski areas developed in the San Gabriel Mountains. Its origins trace back to the 1930s and 1940s when the potential for winter sports in the Wrightwood area was first realized.
- Development and Growth: The resort grew in popularity through the mid-20th century. The development of ski lifts and other infrastructure helped establish Blue Ridge as a notable destination for Southern California skiers.
- Transition to Mountain High: Blue Ridge Ski Resort evolved and expanded over time. It eventually became part of what is known today as Mountain High. This transition involved a change in name and significant upgrades in facilities and services. The West Resort of Mountain High, the direct successor of the original Blue Ridge Ski Resort, retains much of the historical charm and ski culture from its early days.
- Terrain and Features: The area that was once Blue Ridge and is now Mountain High West Resort is known for its varied terrain, catering to skiers and snowboarders of different skill levels. It features a mix of beginner, intermediate, and advanced runs.
- Modernization and Improvements: After becoming part of Mountain High, the former Blue Ridge Ski Resort saw substantial improvements, including the installation of more modern and efficient lifts, enhanced snowmaking capabilities, and the development of terrain parks.
- Cultural Impact: The history of Blue Ridge Ski Resort is deeply intertwined with the development of skiing culture in Southern California. It was crucial in introducing and popularizing winter sports to a region more commonly associated with beaches and sunshine.
- Legacy: Today, while the name Blue Ridge Ski Resort has faded into history, its legacy continues through the West Resort of Mountain High. It remains a testament to the early days of skiing in Southern California and the region’s growth in the sport.
This brief history highlights the transformation of Blue Ridge Ski Resort from its early days to its modern incarnation as part of Mountain High, underscoring its significance in the development of skiing in Southern California.