*** Official ***
Mojave River Valley Museum
Ghost Towns -
East Mojave Desert
Originally called Nippeno Camp after a nearby gold discovery, the town
came to be in February, 1905 with the coming of the the first train on
the newly built
San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad.
The name was changed to Nipton when the SP, LA & SL merged with the
about 1910. For many years the depot served mainly as a
cattle-loading station for several local ranches including the Yates Ranch,
Clara Bow's Walking Box, and Rock Springs Land and Cattle Co. The town
also supplied numerous mines in the area, becoming a social center for the
sparsely populated region. Community facilities included a school,
post office, and several small businesses.