In 1899, Doug Graham and Smiley Jones found some gold
float in the canyon, followed it up to
the source and founded the
Graham-Jones mine. After 18 years Jones left the mine and
Graham worked it alone. In 1930 Graham sold half ownership
for stake money. Graham was robbed and died a few days later.
In 1937 the mine was leased to the Burton brothers who changed
the name to the Ruth Mine, brought in equipment boosting
production to 70 tons of ore per day and continued operation until
Mining History :
Dennis Searles began making plans for a second expedition to the Mojave. On this trip, Dennis took along his brother, John, and they ...
Zoom out to Searles Valley