|Digital-Desert : Mojave Desert||
Visit us on Facebook ~
|ecology: wildlife - plants - geography: places - MAPS - map/sat - roads & trails: route 66 - old west - communities - weather - book store|
|ghost towns - gold mines - parks & public lands: wilderness - native culture - history - geology: natural features - glossary - comments|
Mojave River Valley Museum
Mohahve Historical Society
Box S Ranch
Box S Ranch: a ranch in Lucerne Valley that in 1896 was owned and operated by Albert R. Swarthout, who had gotten the property from O. N. Potts in trade for some cattle. In 1907 he homesteaded Old Woman Springs, moved his ranch here and named it the Heart Bar Ranch.
Box S Springs: a Springs 5.5 miles southeast of Lucerne Valley. Named for the nearby Box S Ranch, which is named for the owner's cattle brand, and was started by Albert Swarthout son of Mormon pioneers. Also known as Box Spring.
Source - Mojave Desert Dictionary by permission Pat Schoffstall: Mojave River Valley Museum