|Digital-Desert : Mojave Desert||
Natural Desert ~
The Way of Things
SoCal SKI & SNOWBOARD REPORTS
Visit us on Facebook ~
|recreation - ecology: wildlife - plants - geography: places - MAPS - map/sat - roads & trails: route 66 - old west - communities - weather|
|ghost towns - gold mines - parks & public lands: wilderness - native culture - history - geology: natural features - 360 photos - glossary - comments|
Kelso, Ghost Town
Click the photo to continue the tour
Kelso Post Office
Tour - Next/ Previous
Kelso was developed in 1905 as a railroad stop on the route from Los Angeles to
Salt Lake because water was easily obtainable for the steam engines.
Boiler water was needed for the locomotives pulling trains up the 18-mile,
2,000-foot grade to
Cima. Later the line was sold to the Union Pacific
Railroad, which built a Spanish-style depot in 1924.
The site once contained a roundhouse and other maintenance facilities.
During World War II the community was home to nearly 2,000 people,
many of whom worked to mine and process iron for the war effort.
After the war, an increase in the use of diesel engines eliminated the need
for water stops along the route. As a result, the population dwindled and
in 1985 the depot closed.