|Digital-Desert : Mojave Desert||
Visit us on Facebook ~
|ecology: wildlife - plants - geography: places - MAPS - map/sat - roads & trails: route 66 - old west - communities - weather - book store|
|ghost towns - gold mines - parks & public lands: wilderness - native culture - history - geology: natural features - glossary - comments|
Mojave River Valley Museum
Mohahve Historical Society
Death Valley National Park
Conn Trudo Borax Works
Borate minerals were extracted here years before both the Eagle and Harmony Borax Works were in operation. In 1875 Conn and Trudo began processing operations continuing until 1907. Borax was shipped by wagon up the San Lucas Pass.
Conn A. Trudo Borax Works lie in Saline Valley, 18 miles north of Keeler. The firm controls about 700 acres, part of which is covered with a crust of crystallized tincal from 6" to 2' thick, which contains 90% borax. The crude material is dissolved in boiling water and drawn off in tanks, where the impurities settle and the borax crystallizes out. Conn & Trudo, of Big Pine, owners.
(from Report of the State Minerologist - California State Mining Bureau - 1896)